SACU Technical Liaison Committees
Trade and Industry Liaison Committee
1.1 The role of the TILC shall be to assist and advise the Commission in its work.
2. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TRADE AND INDUSTRY LIAISON COMMITTEE
2.1 The Terms of Reference for the Trade and Industry Liaison Committee comprise generic and specific aspects.
2.1.1 Generic Aspects
- Provide technical advice to the Commission on trade and industry and other related matters.
- Monitor the implementation of the SACU Agreement and its Annexes in so far as they relate to trade and industry and other related matters, with a view to advise Commission.
- Support and facilitate the establishment and operation of SACU institutions provided for in the SACU Agreement.
- Facilitate the development and propose amendments to Annexes relating to trade and industry and other related matters.
- Appoint task teams, where necessary, to facilitate the work of the TILC.
- Carry out all duties and perform all functions assigned to it by the Commission.
- Make proposals, from time to time, to Commission for any amendments to the Terms of Reference.
2.1.2 Specific Aspects
- Assist in the development and implementation of common policies and strategies for SACU in so far as they relate to trade and industry matters.
- Assist in the formulation of a SACU tariff policy.
- Assist in the development of policies and instruments to facilitate cooperation in the area of competition among SACU Member States.
- Provide policy advice to Commission.
- Assist in the formulation of policies to enhance economic development, diversification, industrialization and competitiveness of Member States.
- Assist Commission in the evaluation of applications for new membership to the Customs Union.
3. OPERATIONS OF THE TILC
3.1 The TILC shall conduct its business in line with the Rules of Procedure for the Technical Liaison Committees approved by Council.