The Secretariat is one of the SACU permanent Institutions. The Secretariat is located in Windhoek, Namibia. The work of the SACU Secretariat is overseen by an Executive Secretary who is a citizen of a SACU Member State.
Purpose, Vision and Values
The SACU Secretariat exists to facilitate the achievement of the SACU objectives as outlined in the 2002 SACU agreement. With neutrality and dedicated focus, we provide support for all SACU activities, thereby influencing the SACU agenda. Our organisation offers expertise, consistency and continuity in the drive to promote regional integration for the benefit of all Member States. By engaging with diverse, challenging regional and global issues, we grow ourselves and others with whom we work. We make an innovative contribution through collaboration, professionalism and determination.
To be a regional leader exemplifying the ideal practice of providing quality service to a Customs Union.
- Visionary Leadership: We recognize the need to set a vision in our respective areas of work that stretches our organizational focus beyond the immediate situation and out to a shared future.
- Trustworthiness: We value honesty and we expect people to always treat one another professionally and with respect, leading to mutual trust.
- Performance-driven: We value the willingness of people to be responsible and accountable for:
- the quality of their work
- the importance of achieving positive results
- their ability to meet or surpass expectations and manage resources entrusted to them in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- Integrity: We believe in exercising Integrity in all business dealings with our; trade partners; our business associates and our allies in serving our stakeholders.
- We treat them with respect, fairness and integrity at all times and expect the same in return.
- We will always take the high road by practicing the highest ethical standards, and by honouring our commitments.
- We will take personal responsibility for our actions, and treat everyone fairly and with trust and respect.
- People Centered: We are committed to an environment characterized by continuous learning, an entrepreneurial, can-do spirit and a team orientation. In addition, we are committed to an environment that is willing to allow for a healthy balance between our professional and personal lives. This commitment will enable us to attract and retain the best-qualified people and create a workplace of which we can be proud and where we can always enjoy our work, while seeking to carry out our mission.
- Working together: We recognize our strength and our competitive advantage is, and always will be people. We value the skills, strengths, and perspectives of our diverse team. We will continually learn, and share ideas and knowledge. We will encourage cooperative efforts at every level and across all activities in our Organisation.